Mastodon

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Aide-memoire ( in the memory of my late father)

 
A
 
 


from the cold,hard
deathbed in a hospital
he uttered a monosyllable
into the phone
I knew it was
the last fragment
of his voice for me.
*********************************
No I was not
hoping against hope
as the kilometres lessened
I knew the distance
between papa and me
had extended
to a fixed forever
that would never change
**********************************
The sunset that day
was special
he had not waited
long enough for it
and it was the first
of the many for me
without him
breathing
***********************************
I walked in
he lay there
a corpse for the world
for me my dad still
I was thinking about
was mom's medicine
and phone calls to be made
***********************************
I didn't stop my tears
there weren't any
I was aware he was gone
but all I felt
was a deep hollow
inside me
emptiness and calm
************************************
His body was being bathed
ritual after ritual
tie the toes
fold the hands
the smile gone
the eyes closed
I ran my fingers through his hair
one last time
I am sure he liked it
so did I
************************************
My child touched his forehead
kissed his cheek
she had been told
he will always love her
I know she will
always know
Karmic connections
************************************
the van was shaky
I had put my hand on his chest
the chanting
was the only rhythm
my heart was
as still as his.
*************************************
He was placed on the pyre
He had once told me
about the five elements
I knew what I had to do
fire was the final test.
*************************************
Most people had left
two more pyres were afire
I kept looking at the flames
long and close enough
to feel the ash
on my skin
in my breath
peace, peace, peace
I knew much later
I was chanting.
**************************************
The beauty of the moment
of letting go
is the clarity
about who I am
and what I want
***************************************
I had read somewhere
nothing ever goes away
until it has taught us
what we need to know
I washed a few pieces of bone
and put them in a pot
I learnt the meaning of life
************************************
thunder and lightening
a journey within a journey
darkness and flickers of light
every one travelling
none of them know
*************************************
all that remained
of his eight decades
was a mud pot
and a handful of remains
I was not listening to the priest
the stairs on the Ghat were cold
with my freezing hands
inside the water
He and I touched freedom
************************************
The house was the same
the world wasn't
I lay in his bed
I packed his medicines
touched his papers
his clothes
life had to go on
I kept asking why
***********************************
Yes I was smiling
laughing aloud
because he liked me that way
and I wanted him
to know
I was fine
***********************************
some fond memory
and mummy would smile
for a few seconds
before she broke down again
he knew I was trying
***********************************
rituals, visitors
cheque books, bills
lawyers, offices
papers, decisions
only in the pauses
I closed my eyes
and we met
************************************
finally me and mom
alone
nothing to tell each other
she made me some tea
I combed her hair
************************************
my little one plays
stone-paper-scissor
a death is a litmus test
so many real faces revealed
*************************************
grief is a long lonely road
I look for Rumi, Buddha
they were right
the wound is where
the light enters
the journey is
actually the destination
*************************************
one journey has ended
another lonely one continues
in a sacred fire
all my fears melted
memories cling
like a fragrance
now I know
everything is temporary
so why worry
***************************************

4 comments:

  1. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely think this website needs a lot more attention. I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for
    the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly thankful to the owner of this website who has shared this impressive article at
    here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it๐Ÿ‘Œ
    Beauty in grief, god bless you !

    ReplyDelete

Keywords

2019 answers anxiety apathy April Blogging challenge B-A-R barathon birthday blog Blogarhythm blogathon Book Review books BOY breasts brothers Buddha bullying cartoons chandigarh child childhood children cities colour compassion contest cosmos culture dad daughter de death death loneliness alone December delhi depression desire devi discrimination disorder diwali domestic violence dreams emily emotional abuse eyes facebook fairytale family fear feminism festival film fire first flash fiction fog freedom freeze frenemy friends GADGETS games gender gender ratio girls god grandfather grandmother grief HAIKU Hamlet happy heart hills hindi home hope husband independence day indiblogger internet jagjit singh kashmir kerouac kids lessons life life lessons light loneliness lonely longing loss love lover marriage me memories memories men menstruation mental health mind miss mom mom dad mother mother's day motherhood mythology nest new year nobody nostalgia pain pakistan panjab university papa paradoxes patriarchy periods poem poet poetry priyamvada questions random thoughts rape relationships religion remember rickshaw ritual Rumi Ruskin Bond sad sex Sexism sexual harassment sexual harrasment shimla short story silence social media soul Stream of consciousness sufi suicide summers taboo time toddlers tradition tragedy twitter valentine violence voice war winter woman women women's day Womensweb words. thoughts words.thoughts worry worship writer writing yatra yeats zen zen. เคฌेเคŸी เคฎाँ

COMPANIONS CALLED BOOKS

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye
Animal Farm
The Alchemist
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Romeo and Juliet
Frankenstein
The Odyssey
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Count of Monte Cristo
Eat, Pray, Love
Lolita
The Da Vinci Code
The Kite Runner
The Silence of the Lambs
The Diary of a Young Girl
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
The Notebook
Gone With the Wind
}

The Human Bean Cafe, Ontario

The Human Bean Cafe, Ontario
my work on display there !!!!!